“Top 100 Operating Systems Questions With Answers".
Here, are some sample questions based on “Operating Systems”. Read it carefully as these questions will improve your basic concept on Operating Systems, and will help you in cracking any interview.
Click on any question to find out it's answers:
1. What is an operating system?
2. What are the basic functions of operating systems?
3. What are the various components of a computer system?
4. What are the basic purposes of different operating systems?
5. What is a bootstrap program, and where is it stored?
6. What is BIOS?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantage of multiprocessor systems?
8. What are the main differences between operating systems for mainframe computers and personal computers?
9. What are the five major activities of an operating system in regard to process management?
10. What are the three major activities of an operating system in regard to memory management?
11. What are the three major activities of an operating system in regard to file management?
12. Discuss various types of operating systems?
13. Discuss Real Time Operating Systems?
14. Discuss Multi-user and Single-user Operating Systems?
15. Discuss Multi-tasking and Single-tasking Operating Systems?
16. Discuss Distributed Operating System?
17. Discuss Embedded Operating System?
18. Discuss Mobile Operating System?
19. Discuss Batch Processing and Interactive Operating Systems?
20. What are the five major activities of an operating system in regard to file management?
21. List five services provided by an operating system. Explain how each provides convenience to the users. Explain also in which cases it would be impossible for user-level pro-grams to provide these services.
22. Define the essential properties of Batch operating system?
23. Define the essential properties of Interactive operating system?
24. Define the essential properties of Time Sharing operating system?
25. Define the essential properties of Real Time operating system?
26. Define the essential properties of Distributed operating system?
27. What do you mean by distributed system? Why are distributed systems desirable?
28. What are the advantages of Distributed Operating System?
29. What is a process? What are the different process states?
30. Please show the state diagram & state transition of the process?
31. What are the advantages of using a higher level language to implement an operating system?
32. Distinguish between system and application programs.
33. State 3 methods used to pass parameters to the Operating System?
34. State a few reasons why a process may terminate the execution of one of its children?
35. What resources are used when a thread is created? How do they differ from those used when a process is created?
36. What two advantages and disadvantages do threads have over multiple processes? Suggest one application that would benefit from the use of threads, and one that would not.
37. Explain the terms time-sharing and multi-programming?
38. What is spooling and what are the benefits? Is it useful on a single-user system?
39. Why is the process table needed in a timesharing system? Is it also needed in personal computer systems in which only one process exists, that process taking over the entire machine until it is finished?
40. Differentiate between a process and a program?
41. What Is A PCB? Explain The Structure Of Process Control Block?
42. Define & Differentiate Between Swapping & Spawning?
43. What Is Disk Scheduling? What Are The Different Disk Scheduling Techniques?
44. Give Several Reasons Why Dead Line Scheduling Is Complex?
45. Distinguish Between Scheduling Policy & Scheduling Mechanisms.
46. What Are Schedulers & What Are Types Of Schedulers?
47. Explain The Importance Of Long Term Scheduler, Short Term Scheduler & Medium Term Scheduler?
48. State The Difference Among Short-Term, Medium-Term & Long-Term Scheduling?
49. Explain The Difference Between Response Time & Turnaround Time. These Times Are Both Used To Measure The Effectiveness Of Scheduling Schemes.
50. Define Preemptable Resource & Non Preemptable Resource. Give Examples?
51. What Is A Thread? Why Is It Used?
52. What Are The Advantages Of Threads?
53. What Are The Types Of Threads In Operating System?
54. What Are The Differences Between User Level Threads & Kernel Supported Threads?
55. State The Advantages & Disadvantages Of User Level Threads?
56. State The Advantages & Disadvantages Of Kernel Level Threads?
57. State The Basic Differences Between Process & Thread?
58. What Are The Advantages Of Threads Over Multiple Processes?
59. What Are The Disadvantages Of Threads Over Multiple Processes?
60. Why Should A Web Server Not Run As A Single Threaded Process?