16. Discuss Distributed Operating System?
Answer: An operating system that manages a group of independent computers and makes them appear to be a single computer is known as a distributed operating system. The development of networked computers that could be linked and made to communicate with each other, gave rise to distributed computing. Distributed computations are carried out on more than one machine. When computers in a group work in cooperation, they make a distributed system.
Amoeba, Plan9 and LOCUS (developed during the 1980s) are some examples of distributed operating systems.
17. Discuss Embedded Operating System?
Answer: The operating systems designed for being used in embedded computer systems are known as embedded operating systems. They are designed to operate on small machines like PDAs with less autonomy. They are able to operate with a limited number of resources. They are very compact and extremely efficient by design.
Windows CE, FreeBSD and Minix 3 are some examples of embedded operating systems. The use of Linux in embedded computer systems is referred to as Embedded Linux.
18. Discuss Mobile Operating System?
Answer: Though not a functionally distinct kind of operating system, mobile OS is definitely an important mention in the list of operating system types. A mobile OS controls a mobile device and its design supports wireless communication and mobile applications. It has built-in support for mobile multimedia formats. Tablet PCs and smartphones run on mobile operating systems.
Blackberry OS, Google's Android and Apple's iOS are some of the most known names of mobile operating systems.
19. Discuss Batch Processing & Interactive Operating Systems?
Answer: Batch processing refers to execution of computer programs in 'batches' without manual intervention. In batch processing systems, programs are collected, grouped and processed on a later date. There is no prompting the user for inputs as input data are collected in advance for future processing. Input data are collected and processed in batches, hence the name batch processing. IBM's z/OS has batch processing capabilities. As against this, interactive operating requires user intervention. The process cannot be executed in the user's absence.
20. What Are The Five Major Activities Of An Operating System In Regard To File Management?
Answer: The five major activities of an operating system in regard to file management are:
- The creation and deletion of files.
- The creation and deletion of directories
- The support of primitives for manipulating files and directories.
- The mapping of files onto secondary storage
- The backup of files on stable (nonvolatile) storage media.
21. List five services provided by an operating system. Explain how each provides convenience to the users. Explain also in which cases it would be impossible for user-level pro-grams to provide these services.
22. Define the essential properties of Batch operating system?
23. Define the essential properties of Interactive operating system?
24. Define the essential properties of Time Sharing operating system?
25. Define the essential properties of Real Time operating system?
26. Define the essential properties of Distributed operating system?
27. What do you mean by distributed system? Why are distributed systems desirable?
28. What are the advantages of Distributed Operating System?
29. What is a process? What are the different process states?
30. Please show the state diagram & state transition of the process?
... Return To Operating System FAQ's Index.
... Return To Homepage.