Data Structure & Algorithm Interview Questions And Answers - Part VIII.
Here, are some sample questions based on "Data Structures". Read it carefully as these questions will help you in cracking any interview.
36) What are the differences between linear search and binary search ?
The differences between linear and binary searches are:
- Binary search carries out the searching process with the minimum number of comparisons but linear search does not guarantee lesser number of comparisons.
- To save on time and comparisons, binary search is much more beneficial than linear search.
- Binary search can work for only sorted arrays whereas linear search can work for both sorted as well as unsorted arrays.
37) State the condition(s) under which binary search is applicable ?
The conditions for binary search are:
- The list must be sorted.
- Lower bound and upper bound, and the sort order of the list must be known.
38) What are the advantages of linked lists over arrays ?
Linked lists overcome the drawbacks of arrays as in linked lists, number of elements need not be predetermined, and more memory can be allocated or released during the processing as and when required, making insertions and deletions much easier and simpler.
39) What is sorting of an array ? Name a few types of sorting techniques ?
Sorting of an array means arranging the array-elements in a specified order, i.e. either ascending or descending order. Numerous sorting techniques are available. A few of them are shell sort, shuttle sort, bubble sort, selection sort, quick sort, heap sort etc.
40) What is the mechanism of selection sort ?
In selection sort, the smallest or largest element key, depending on the user’s desired order, from the remaining unsorted array is searched for and put in the sorted array. This process is repeated until the entire array gets sorted.
ALSO READ THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
41) What do you mean by bubble sort ?
42) What is insertion sort ?
43) Differentiate between the different types of linked lists ?
44) What do you mean by ‘pushing’ and ‘popping’ with regard to stacks ?
45) What are input restricted dequeues and output restricted dequeues ?
46) What do you mean by Polish string ?
47) What do you mean by an infix, postfix and prefix expression ?
48) What is the evaluation order according to which an infix expression is converted to postfix expression ?
49) Give the advantages of using post fix notations over infix notations ?
50) How can prefix notations be converted to infix form ?
...Return To Data Structure Index.
... Return To HR Interview Index.