Do You Prefer To Work Alone Or As A Team Player? - Job Interview Answers.
When interviewer asks such questions it means they are trying to learn whether you are a team player or you like working independently. Even if you have a strong preference to work alone or with others, the best answer is to say both. If a job is mostly about working alone, there might be some team work involved.
"There’s no work or job which doesn’t need team work at some point of time."
The reality is that most jobs require us to work both independently and in teams. Your response to this question should show that you have been successful in both situations. Most employers want someone who can work well in a team and work well alone.
Your answers can be:
1) I would like to work in an environment where there is a blend of both. Its great working in teams while sharing and learning ideas with each other, but it’s also great to sit at my own desk and work hard productively. Therefore I would like to work independently towards a team goal.
2) I believe both are two sides of the same coin. They can never be isolated. A man has to work individually and also as a team player. The value of teamwork is the emergence of new ideas and creative solutions as well as sharing of the work load. So I prefer to work both as an individual and as a team member.
3) During my school days, I was a team member of the Cricket team and the Band Group. Each required a different kind of team play and the learning experience was invaluable. But simultaneously I had to work hard individually for my School exams and other competitive exams where I need to learn and perform on my own. Hence I understand the value of both and therefore I am comfortable working on a team and independently as well.
4) I like working myself. But I love working in a team because one thing is for sure - gaining and sharing knowledge through experience. It is always said “Two heads are better than one”. Working as an individual, I can apply all that I have learned throughout the career. So I believe both have their importance and both are required to be successful in any field.
5) What I have learned from the job description is: this position requires someone who can handle assignments which in turn requires great deal of independent work and research. I am equally comfortable working as a member of a team and independently. My career marks and percentage shows my individual effort. Moreover I was the captain of the winning cricket team of my school and I was adjudged the best bowler of the tournament which shows that I am an efficient team member also. So I am comfortable with both.
ALSO READ THE ANSWERS FOR:
- Tell Me Something About Yourself ?
- Where Do You See Yourself After 5 Years?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- What Makes You Stand Out From Other Candidates?
- What is (are) your Strength (Strengths)?
- What is (are) your Weakness (Weaknesses)?
- Can you work well under pressure? (Or How well do you handle stress and pressure?)
- What are your short term goals/career aspirations?
- What are your long term goals/career aspirations?
... Return To HR Interview Index.
Your suggestions and comments are welcome in this section. If you want to share something or if you have some answer of your own, please do post them in the comments section.